Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Creating Productivity by Increasing the Number of Distractions!

It is spring, the time of year when the young man's fancy turns to new and exotic case systems, alluring non-Indo-European tongues and sexy, sexy aspectual distinctions.

It is also the time of year when I get bored with having only Czech as my plaything all winter (shocking but true) and apparently crave languages with severe constraints on syllable patterns and phonologies.

To that end, I have ordered a grammar of Finnish, signed up for an online Finnish vocabulary program, and ordered a book of Hawaiian grammar lessons. Spanish still holds no lasting interest for me, of course, in spite of my environment.

Predictably and paradoxically, this has increased my productivity in terms of the Čapek and the Fuks I'm working on. I have two Čapek updates I'll get to as soon as I format and footnote them, (within twenty-four hours, hopefully) and one more before the end of the month. The Fuks I'm playing closer to my vest right now.

No comments: