Thursday, November 03, 2005

NaNoWriMo.

No, I'm not doing it, as such, although Nick is, or at least seems to be. Bully for him, and so forth. But it is a handy stimulus towards creating time for my own writing project, though it doesn't exactly conform to their standards or deadlines. Nevertheless, I hope to handwrite 10,000 words of Pan Theodor Mundstock by November 30th. This will require either picking up the pace in the evenings or forfeiting some between-shift nap time, as I did today. Hopefully not too much of that. And hopefully by the time I start typing later in the month I've have mastered enough LaTeX to be formatting it as I go along. While still converting Burner of Corpses into a much prettier format.

It's nice to have quixotic projects, anyway, and a modicum of external motivation.

5 comments:

santoritimes said...

about that external motivation... want to send some down the appalachians? I could sure use some.

Agnes said...

ow right yeah, motivation, I suppose that's what it's called, that which I have been missing since the semester started. Hopefully Richard will bring some next week.

Anyhow, good luck, much inspiration and so forth

Kukkurovaca said...

Oh, tell me about your experiences with LaTex, once you have some. I like the idea, but find it quite annoying to work with. Also, what gui are you using? (I assume you're not going the bare-knuckle command-line route.)

The Earthtopus said...

Well, Jef, the trick I find is that external motivation is just part of a toolkit that, practically speaking, results in you tricking yourself into working.

In this case, I'm working on nothing more than the flimsy pretext that a bunch of other people are working on a completely unrelated project.

And Nick, I'm using something called TeXshop. Trying to wrangle my way through figuring some things out and converting from Word without having to do a lot of manual conversion, \textit{} codes for italics being one of the more annoying ones (ditto footnotes) but the end result is a lot more pleasing to the eye.

The Earthtopus said...

But it appears to be mainly bare-knuckle command-line work. It's a refreshing change of pace, and nice to use simply to muck about in a text with, although I'm not sure I'd like to compose in it, what with the complexities of accentuation and so forth.